Warm beans add depth and are satisfyingly filling – a uniquely delicious addition to your summer appetizer selection.
Hands-on Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 1 to 2 ½ hours | Servings: 10 to 12 | Difficulty: Medium
- 1½ cups medium ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh oregano, coarsely chopped
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- ½ tsp. coarse sea salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 can (15 oz.) red kidney beans
- 1 can (15 oz.) great northern beans
- 4 oz. semi-soft goat cheese or feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 large baguettes, sliced diagonally into 20 to 24 pieces each
- Combine the tomatoes, basil, oregano, scallions, garlic, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes up to 2 hours.
- Prepare grill for medium high heat. Grill baguette slices, watching carefully, just until lightly golden and toasted. Set aside on a cooling rack.
- In a medium saucepan combine undrained beans. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 minutes or until heated through. Drain.
- Toss warm beans with tomato mixture. Sprinkle cheese over bean mixture.
- Serve warm atop grilled baguette slices.
Per serving: Calories 310, Calories from Fat 50, Total Fat 6g (9% DV), Saturated Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0.5g, Cholesterol 10mg (3% DV), Sodium 790mg (33% DV), Carbohydrates 52g (17% DV), Dietary Fiber 7g (28% DV), Sugars 2g, Protein 14g, Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 15%, Iron 20%.