Created by: Julia Mueller, The Roasted Root
If you’re entertaining guests this New Years’ Eve and want to keep the menu healthful yet filling, oven-baked chicken with a side of roasted root vegetables is a great main dish. Preparing this recipe is very simple! The chicken comes out tender, flavorful, and is a great option for kicking off the New Year on the right foot.
- 1 whole chicken
- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- 1½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1½ tsp. onion powder
- 1½ tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1¼ tsp. sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped
- 1 large turnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 medium beets, chopped
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
Prepare the Root Vegetables:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Add the chopped sweet potato, turnip and onion to a mixing bowl and drizzle with ¼ cup olive oil, sea salt and Italian seasoning. Use your hands to toss everything together until it’s well coated. Spread the vegetables over a large baking sheet.
- Place the chopped beets in the center of a 12” piece of foil. Fold all of the edges onto themselves, creating a secure foil packet (Note: beets secrete juice while roasting, so be sure the foil packet doesn’t have any openings).
- Place both the sheet of vegetables and the foil packet in the preheated oven and roast for 40 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked through. Remove vegetables from the oven and cover with foil while preparing the chicken.
Prepare the Chicken:
- Whisk together the remaining olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder and salt (to taste) in a small bowl. Place the chicken in a casserole dish and pour the oil/spice mixture over it. Use your hands to rub the mixture gently onto the whole surface of the chicken. Allow chicken to marinate at least 15 minutes, or up to overnight in the refrigerator.
- When ready to bake the chicken, preheat the oven to 325°F. Place the chicken on the center rack of the preheated oven and roast for 1 hour, or until it has reached an internal temperature of 165°F. Remove chicken from oven and allow to rest 10 minutes before slicing and serving with root vegetables.
- Store any leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
If you’re making the vegetables ahead of time, you can prepare that portion of the recipe up to 3 days ahead. Simply store the roasted vegetables in a sealed container and keep them in the refrigerator.