Created by: Erin Sellin, Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
This Italian chicken bake has just five simple ingredients, but tons of flavor! I use canned diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning to give the chicken lots of great flavor and moisture. The chicken cooks in the tomatoes, so it stays super moist and creates its own sauce. You can serve it over pasta or with bread so you have something to scoop up all that goodness.
- 1-1½ pounds chicken breasts
- ¼ cup pesto
- 1 (14 oz.) can Italian style diced tomatoes
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a 9” square baking dish (or casserole dish) with non-stick spray.
- Pour can of tomatoes into pan and spread evenly over the bottom. Nestle chicken breasts into the tomatoes. Spread about 1 tablespoon pesto over each piece of chicken.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until chicken is cooked through (the internal temperature should be 165°F).
- Top with shredded cheese, and return to the oven for 5 minutes until melted. Use broiler if you want the cheese browned.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with basil. Serve immediately and store any leftovers in the fridge.
I use chicken breasts when I make this recipe, but you can use any cut of chicken you like. Chicken thighs or even tenders work equally well. How quickly the chicken cooks depends on how thick your cuts are.