Traditional mac & cheese gets an upgrade when gnocchi stands in for pasta in this cheesy baked dish.
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- 2 pkgs. (16-oz.) gnocchi
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- ½ tsp. hot sauce
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 4 oz. Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter or spray a 2-quart casserole dish; set aside. Mix together panko, butter and parsley; set aside.
- Cook gnocchi according to package instructions; drain and set aside.
- In a 4-quart sauce pan over medium heat melt butter; whisk in flour, mustard, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Cook 4-5 minutes stirring constantly. Slowly add milk while whisking constantly until smooth. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened. Remove from the heat and add cheeses; stir until melted and smooth.
- Add gnocchi to cheese sauce; stir gently to coat. Pour into prepared dish; top with panko mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until bubbly and starting to brown.