Created by: Julia Mueller, The Roasted Root
The New Year is a wonderful holiday for celebrating with friends and family, and I have a few New Year’s traditions I’ve been in the habit of following through on each year: sharing resolutions, making a big feast and creating a signature cocktail to enjoy throughout the evening.
When it comes to cocktail formation, I believe the perfect beverage has a fine balance of sweet-tangy-spice to go along with the liquor bite. Combining pear juice, ginger simple syrup, gin and champagne makes for a super flavorful, delicious beverage to cheers during the New Year.
- 1½ cups cane sugar
- 1½ cups water
- 8 oz. fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin rounds
- 100% pear juice
Prepare the Simple Syrup:
- Add the sugar and water to a saucepan and bring to a full boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced ginger, stir well and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and allow it to sit for 30-40 minutes.
- Strain the syrup through a fine mesh strainer, discarding the ginger. Transfer syrup to a sealed jar and refrigerate until completely chilled.
Prepare the Cocktails:
- Fill glasses with ice.
- Add ½ ounce of simple syrup, ¼ cup of pear juice, and 1½ ounces of gin to each glass.
- Stir well to combine.
- Fill the rest of the glass with champagne and serve.
- Most fruit juices will work well in this cocktail if you’d like to substitute the pear juice, particularly apple cider (or juice), cranberry, pomegranate, etc.
- The ginger syrup will stay fresh for one month when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- This cocktail can be made in a large batch by adding simple syrup, pear juice and gin to a shaker with ice. If selecting this method, triple or quadruple the recipe as necessary, divide between glasses and top with chilled champagne.