Created by: Julia Mueller, The Roasted Root
The beginning of a New Year means the chance to start new positive habits, and eating a well-rounded breakfast is a perfect example. Breakfast jumpstarts your metabolism and provides the much-needed fuel to keep your mind and body motivated and active throughout the workday.
For those who are looking for clean, nutrient-dense breakfast ideas that are also mouth-watering, this egg white omelet with caramelized onions, spinach, and feta covers all the major bases. The caramelized onions and feta yield a great deal of flavor, while the egg whites provide low-fat protein and the spinach gifts vitamins, minerals, and fiber. You can also add sautéed sweet potatoes alongside your omelet breakfast if you’re in the need of healthy carbohydrates.
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 6 egg whites
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbles
- Sea salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onion, sprinkle with sea salt and sauté (stirring occasionally) until the onions begin to turn translucent, about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking (stirring occasionally) until the onions begin to brown, about 15 minutes. Reduce the heat again to medium-low and continue cooking until the onions begin sticking to the pan and have turned fully golden-brown, about 10 minutes. (Note: If the onions begin looking dry at any point, add a small amount of oil and some water to deglaze the pan.)
- Add the baby spinach to the onions and cover. Cook until spinach has wilted, about 2 minutes. Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a small skillet over medium heat and whisk together the egg whites with some sea salt, reserving the yolks for future use. Once the skillet is hot, swirl around the oil so that it’s covering the full surface of the pan, and pour half of the egg whites onto the skillet. Cook until the egg whites have set up and only a small layer of the top is still translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Carefully flip and cook another 30 seconds, or until the egg whites have cooked through. Transfer omelet to a plate and repeat for a second omelet.
- Stuff the egg white omelets with the caramelized onions and spinach mixture, along with a couple tablespoons of feta cheese. Serve and enjoy.
This omelet is simple to prepare, but does require some preparation time, as it can take about 30-45 minutes to fully caramelize the onions. If you’re making omelets during your busy workweek, you can caramelize a couple of onions ahead of time and have them in the refrigerator ready to go when you wake up in the morning.