Created by: Britni Vigil, Play. Party. Plan.
Skip the traditional sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving this year and try these cinnamon sugar diced sweet potatoes instead. They’re caramelized with coconut oil, sautéed with cinnamon and salt, then topped with a little cinnamon sugar and butter for the perfect sweet side dish.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 1/4 inch squares
- 2 Tbsp. Kroger coconut oil
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. Kroger coarse kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. Kroger granulated sugar
- ½ Tbsp. Kroger unsalted butter
- Heat coconut oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Once coconut oil is hot, carefully place chopped sweet potato into oil in one single layer.
- Allow sweet potatoes caramelize in coconut oil for three minutes then flip and repeat for three minutes on the other side.
- Sprinkle sweet potatoes with 1 teaspoon cinnamon and ½ teaspoon kosher salt. Stir gently to mix seasoning into sweet potatoes.
- Cook for an additional 15-20 minutes, until sweet potatoes are crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Remove from heat onto a paper towel to soak up the oil.
- While sweet potatoes are soaking, mix remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon with 1 tablespoon white sugar to create cinnamon sugar. Lightly sprinkle cinnamon sugar over hot sweet potatoes.
- Serve hot topped with butter.