This pie can feed a crowd! The sweet smell of apples and cinnamon will fill your home as it bakes, creating the perfect Thanksgiving aroma.
Hands-on Time: 50 min. | Total Time: 3 hours 50 min. | Serves: 18 | Difficulty: Medium
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1¾ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¾ cup ice water
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- 1½ cups cornflake cereal, crushed
- 4 lbs. apples, peeled and sliced
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp. milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- For the pie crust: Mix the flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Add the butter and use a pastry blender to cut the bitter into the mixture. Mix until it resembles a coarse meal. Add 1 tablespoon of ice water in at a time and continue stirring. Add water in until the dough begins to form large clumps. Divide the dough in half. Roll each half into 1” thick discs. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- For the filling: Mix all filling ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- For the chilled pie crust: on a lightly floured surface, roll one half of the dough into an 18”x13” rectangle. Place the dough into a 10”x15” casserole dish. Trim edges to be 1”.
- Spread the crushed cornflakes on top of the crust.
- Spread the filling evenly on top of the cornflakes.
- Roll out the second half of the pie dough in the same way as the first half. Drape over the filling and fold the bottom crust’s overhang over the edges. Crimp down sides. Cut slits in the top of the crust. Brush with the egg wash.
- Bake the slab pie for 40-45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- For the glaze: whisk all ingredients together and drizzle over warm crust.
- Serve and refrigerate leftovers.
Wine Pairing: Gewürztraminer
Per serving: Calories 370, Calories from Fat 160, Total Fat 18g (28% DV), Saturated Fat 11g (55% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 60mg (20% DV), Sodium 220mg (9% DV), Carbohydrates 50g (17% DV), Dietary Fiber 2g (8% DV), Sugars 25g, Protein 4g, Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 2%, Iron 8%.