Created by: Nicole Leggio, Cooking for Keeps
Classic 7 layer dip meets everyone’s favorite football season obsession – buffalo chicken. This dip can easily be prepared ahead of time, making it perfect for tailgating season. Spicy, creamy, cheesy and perfectly dip-worthy!
- 1 small chicken breast, cut into 1” cubes
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp. hot sauce, divided
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) fat-free refried beans
- 8 oz. sour cream (light or full-fat)
- 4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- Toss chicken with ¼ cup hot sauce. Heat a medium non-stick skillet to a medium heat. Add olive oil. Add chicken and sauté until cooked through, about 3-4 minutes. Toss with another ¼ cup hot sauce.
- In a small bowl mix together remaining hot sauce and fat-free refried beans. Season to taste with salt.
- Spread beans on a medium-sized plate. Spread sour cream on top. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, followed by tomatoes, and half of the blue cheese. Add chicken on top and sprinkle with remaining blue cheese and green onions. Serve with chips.
- I like to start off with a base of fat-free refried beans. You could use whatever kind you like, but I find that the fat-free version is just as flavorful and creamy, plus I can add whatever seasoning I like.
- To mimic the buffalo flavor in the chicken, I stirred the canned beans with a little bit more of the hot sauce, and seasoned it to taste with a little salt and pepper. From there, you just build your layer dip with plenty of sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese (mild or sharp both work great), chopped tomatoes, green onions, and of course, some tangy blue cheese.
- The spicy buffalo chicken gets perched on top, and the whole dish is garnished with plenty of sliced green onions. I served it with plain potato chips, but any kind of tortilla chip, cracker or even veggie would be just as good.